Toyota's Corporate Sponsorship of AIDS/LifeCycle
AIDS/LifeCycle is a fully supported, 7-day bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to raise money and awareness in the fight against HIV/AIDS. It is produced by and benefits the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center. In its second year as a sponsor, Toyota provided 50 brand new vehicles for AIDS/LifeCycle medical, media, safety, production crew, and executives to use along the 545-mile route.
In addition to managing the logistics of this in-kind sponsorship valued at $30,000, I was tasked with event activations at Orientation Day and at Camps throughout the week. The goal was to keep Toyota top-of-mind by engaging with participants directly, to spread the word via social media, and to provide helpful, memorable takeaways that would increase the overall value of Toyota’s partnership.
- To build brand awareness.
- To establish tangible recognition of our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- To create awareness of the safety and eco-friendliness of our vehicles.
- To sell at least (6) Toyota vehicles because of this sponsorship.
Over 3,000 AIDS/LifeCycle participants. This includes riders, Roadies (volunteers along the route), donors, and supporters.
- Wraps for rear windows on 50 Toyota vehicles.
- Stickers for vehicle identification that kept consistency with brand.
- Branded canopy and promotional flag specific to #LoveDrives.
- Branded stickers for Sport Beans jelly beans.
- Custom overlay for FotoZap app as part of #LoveDrives social media.
- Custom $500 bonus cash voucher toward a new Prius Liftback.
- Copy and ad to appear in the "Daily Spin," AIDS/LifeCycle's daily newspaper.
- Reminder and roadside assistance contact cards placed on dash inside all 50 vehicles.
- "How to Drive a Prius" tip sheet placed inside all Prius vehicles.
On-Site Event Activation & Social Media
- Pre-Ride Soiree Events: Participants in the San Francisco region and the LA region were invited to soirees in their city. Toyota was notably thanked with stage mentions at both.
- Orientation Day: Centrally located at the exit of participant registration, Toyota’s event activation included a 10’ canopy and #LoveDrives promotional flag; Instagram printer for print-outs that could be customized with Sharpies; passing out vouchers and Sport Beans; #LoveDrives social media photo activation with iPads. Four Prius vehicles were centrally placed on display in the arena inside Cow Palace.
- Camps During the Week: Canopy and #LoveDrives promotional flag; Instagram printer for print-outs that could be customized with Sharpies; passing out vouchers and Sport Beans; #LoveDrives social media photo activation with iPads.
- Rest Areas and Scenic Points Along the Route: Passing out Sport Beans; #LoveDrives social media photo activation with iPad.
- 317% growth in #LoveDrives tweets from June 1 - 15, 2016
- Potential reach of 660,000 from June 1 - 15, 2016.
- Potential impressions: 58,723.
- Over 200 #LoveDrives Instagram posts during AIDS/LifeCycle.
FotoZap App on iPads:
- Over 300 photos and GIFs captured with FotoZap app.
- 857 unique visitors to photo sharing website.
- Top photo page (single photo shared by one participant) received 95 views.